When testing amplifiers, integrated amp, preamps and receivers, how much output from the QA403 generator?

Hey all, still getting used to this thing, I see that cd players are generally rated for 2 volts rms output so I was starting there. I see that as you increase the output of the internal generator the overall amplifier output distortion goes down.

For example, the 1 kHz output was the lowest in the first pic, but at rated output I was over 0.4% THD

I then bumped up the 1 kHz output to 1v rms and got the THD at rated output of 45 watts to 0.08%.

I bumped it up again to 2.5v rms output and got the spec better than the rated 0.05%.

How high are you supposed to use? I know with a power amp it’ll be different as some amps need several volts input to get rated output.

Dan

I would look at the gain when you are testing. A lot of amps/intg amps/receivers will specify the input signal level to achieve the rated output power. Thd may go down as power goes up but the snr (or thd + noise) tends to go up as you are getting near the limits of the amp. Some amps with low gain are going to require a larger input signal. With a receiver or integrated amp (or power amp with gain controls), the Standard that I have found is to set the gain for 29dB and adjust the level of the input signal to achieve the desired output level.

Man I appreciate that, I have a lot to learn in this area as much of what you said went over my head as of now. I’m going to play around some more and return.

Dan

Amir has a nice video on understanding amp measurements:

1 Like