macOS ampMeasure public beta

Hi all,

I’ve been building a native macOS app for the QA403 over the past weeks and it’s now feature-complete enough for a beta: ampMeasure — spectrum/THD/THD+N analysis with per-harmonic readouts, SMPTE/DIN/CCIF IMD, frequency response (log chirp and stepped sine with THD per point), THD+N-vs-power sweeps with automatic input ranging, A-weighting, and CSV/PNG export. It talks to the analyzer directly over USB — no drivers, no Mono/Wine.

Full disclosure up front: this will be a paid app on the Mac App Store (a release is currently in review). I’m a Mac developer who wanted a first-class native tool for my own bench; this is not affiliated with QuantAsylum.

It also stands on the shoulders of this community: PyQa40x and QA40x_BareMetal were invaluable references for the USB protocol and calibration layout (credited in the app). And to be clear, I see this as complementary to the excellent open-source efforts here (qa40x-rs, Phonalyser) — those cover cross-platform and hackable; ampMeasure aims at “feels like a Mac app,” and the more good software this hardware has, the better for everyone.

What I’m looking for from beta testers via TestFlight:

• QA402 owners especially — the protocol supports it, but I’ve only been able to hardware-verify on a QA403

• Different Macs/macOS versions, Intel and Apple Silicon

• Real-world measurement workflows that break my assumptions (bring your weirdest DUT)

There’s also a built-in demo mode (simulated analyzer), so you can look around before cabling anything.

TestFlight link: Join the ampMeasure beta - TestFlight - Apple — feedback here in the thread or TestFlight is hugely appreciated.

Richard

Update: 1.0 is live — and thank you

ampMeasure 1.0 is now on the Mac App Store: ‎ampMeasure‑App – App Store

A sincere thank-you to everyone who jumped on the TestFlight beta — the feedback has been excellent. One example of it working exactly as hoped: the report that you had to stop at precisely the right capture to export a fully-averaged spectrum. That’s fixed — averaging now holds the completed average once it reaches full depth (with a restart button for when you swap the DUT), and the same coherent averaging is now also available for chirp frequency-response sweeps (1/4/16). These land in 1.0.1, which goes out through TestFlight first — so the beta stays alive and testers keep getting fixes before the store does.

Still especially wanted:

• QA402 owners — everything should work, but I could only hardware-verify on a QA403. A Probe + Loopback Test result from a real QA402 would be gold.

• Anything that measures wrong, warns confusingly, or clicks relays when it shouldn’t. I take those personally (o;

This looks great! I have a Neo and would be happy to try a QA402 if you’d like. Just tell me what to do.

Good morning Matt (o;

Thanks :slight_smile:

You just need to install TestFlight from the app store.

Then just open this link: Join the ampMeasure beta - TestFlight - Apple

This will open TestFlight and install the beta version and start using it.

Within TestFlight you can also leave feedback and reports. And when a new test build comes out you get notified automatically, which will happen this weekend as I will push a new build to TestFlight tomorrow.

cheers
richard

Beta version 1.0.1 (Build 5) has just been approved by Apple this morning.

Fixed: Analyzer averaging reset

New: Averaging in frequency response

Still same TestFlight link to join as above.

Hi Richard,

I use mostly macs nowdays and run my 403 with BootCamp on a Mac !

I’d love to test the software directly under Mac Os Sequoia, I also run my older intel machines with dual Sequioa with Open core legacy patcher and Older Oses like Sierra or El Capitan…

If that’s of any interest to you :slight_smile:

Eric

Hi Eric,

That’s fantastic — thanks for offering! I’d really appreciate the help.

I’ve been building a native macOS app for the QA403 (no BootCamp needed :slightly_smiling_face:). It runs on both Apple Silicon and Intel Macs, and I’ve just made sure it installs on macOS 15 Sequoia and up — so your main Sequoia setup is perfect for testing.

The easiest way to get it to you is through TestFlight. If you send me the Apple ID email you use on the Mac App Store, I’ll add you and you’ll get a link to install the current beta. Beta builds go through a quick Apple review first, so there may be a short delay before the invite lands.

One heads-up: the very old systems (El Capitan, Sierra) on your OpenCore machines won’t run it — the minimum is macOS 15. But if any of those patched Macs are on a recent enough macOS, I’d love to hear how it goes there too.

The 403 talks to the app over USB directly, so real hardware feedback from your setup is exactly what I’m after. Thanks again — looking forward to getting it into your hands!

cheers
richard

That was quick..just got an email from Apple that version 1.0.1 build 6 is available for testing on macOS Sequoia (o;

So please macOS 15 users, give it a try and report back if it also works for you.

muchas gracias (o;
richard

As a side note…

ampMeasure is also on the Apple app store if you haven’t noticed:

The TestFlight builds will continue of course and will be a valuable feedback to make ampMeasure even better.

Thanks to all the beta testers who have subscribed :slight_smile: