Spectrum analysis of arm/cartridge resonance

Works great.

Can you explain what test setup you’ve got there and what you’re actually concluding. Is that RIAA corrected?

Thanks.

No test setup really, that’s my living room rig playing a normal record, measured at phono preamp output. Note the sweep goes all the way down to 1Hz.

You can use any record you wish, and use averaging to smooth out the music. At 256K I find 20 samples works OK. This particular record has little bass below 30Hz which helps with a clear display. The hump at 10Hz is the arm/cartridge resonance.

Hi @Chicago, what a smart measurement. If you change the mechanics somehow (eg penny on the tonearm) do you expect the peak would shift?

Matt that’s what I would assume. Raising the ‘flying mass’, while leaving compliance & tracking force constant, should lower resonance and making mass lighter should raise it.

Here’s the same record on a couple different turntables. Note vertical scales are not the same.

A penny on MY tonearm?!? Oh boy. She’s gonna be pissed! ":^)

1 Like

Ahh, very cool. Yeah, a penny might be too heavy. Maybe a dime :wink:

What do you think makes the right channel run noticably hotter (by a few dB) in the middle turntable? Is that just variation in source material? Or is something else going on there? Very cool to see the peak differences